Proper oral care is important at any age as it is directly related to heart and overall health. Establishing a good oral care routine young can help your child maintain good dental health for the rest of their life. Many parents wonder when they should start brushing, what to use, and whether or not toothpaste is healthy for their child. Below are some of the best parent and dentist-approved methods for helping your child brush their teeth. Knowing how to brush your teeth for kids is a vital step in lifelong dental hygiene.
When Should My Child Start Brushing?
You can have your child begin using a soft children’s toothbrush as early as twelve months. You can even start earlier if they aren’t too fussy about it. At this stage, you can use water only to scrub around their teeth and gums. Once they are around eighteen months old, you can begin using toothpaste. Just like adults, you’ll want to brush in the morning and at night. This helps keep away cavities, tooth decay, and gum disease.
Monitor your child’s mouth as you begin and throughout their first few years as they may be too rough or brush incorrectly without your help. If your child has red or swollen gums, you should intervene and discuss the proper steps for brushing. In addition, if you see a white film over their teeth, its likely plaque. So you’ll need to work with them a little more on how to get their teeth clean.
Tooth Brushing for Children
The following steps apply to children eighteen months to six years old. And they are vital for knowledge of how to brush your teeth for kids. However, discuss this with your child’s dentist to be sure you are doing what’s right for your child’s unique needs.
- Place a pea-sized amount of low-fluoride toothpaste onto your child’s soft toothbrush. Be sure and use toothpaste once they turn eighteen months, but not before.
- If your child is small enough, you can place them on your lap. If your child is a little taller, have them stand in front of you. Tilt their head up a little, so you can see all of the teeth inside their mouth.
- Use gentle circles to clean their teeth and angle the bristles of the child’s toothbrush towards their gums.
- Begin with brushing the outside and then the inside using circular motions. After that, go back and forth on the chewing surface of your child’s teeth.
- After you have brushed their teeth, have your child spit in the sink. You can also have them wash their mouth out with water and swirl it around if they are old enough.
Repeat these steps every morning and night with your child. Be sure and replace their toothbrush every three months.
Best Dentist in Hollywood
GLO Modern Dental is the best dentist Hollywood has to offer. Dr. Rhonda Kalasho is one of the most trusted and highly reputable dentists in the area. She has been trained at one of the nation’s top universities, UCLA. Her office offers a wide variety of dental services, including pediatric dentistry.
If you are looking for a pediatric dentist Hollywood for your child, contact GLO Modern Dental. Their office is skilled in working with children and providing them with a safe and warm experience. They offer a wide variety of tips to ensure your child has a great experience. To encourage your child, you should read them books about the dentist, take them for a preview visit so they can get comfortable, and share positive experiences you have had with the dentist. This will make all of the difference once they come in for their first visit. Contact Dr. Kalasho and set up your child’s first pediatric dentistry visit today!