Gummy Smile Treatment Beverly Hills, CA
Many patients come to TruGlo Modern Dentistry for gummy smile treatment Beverly Hills, CA families recommend. A gummy smile is one that shows an excess of gum tissue around the teeth. It is also referred to as an excessive gingival display. If a patient has more than three millimeters of exposed gum, it is considered a gummy smile.
What Causes a Gummy Smile?
There are a number of reasons why someone might have an issue with an excessive gingival display. These include:
- The patient has a genetic predisposition for excessive gum tissue
- The patient’s lip is too short.
- Gums partially cover the patient’s teeth because of an abnormality in dental development during their childhood.
- The patient’s top jaw does not align correctly with the bottom jaw. The protrusion of the top jaw causes that “gummy smile” look.
Can a Gummy Smile Be Fixed?
Absolutely! When you’re looking for gummy smile treatment in Beverly Hills, look no further than TruGlo Modern Dentistry. There are a number of treatment options patients have to correct their gummy smile, depending on what is causing the issue:
- Orthodontic treatment – Orthodontic appliances and other treatments can push your teeth upward, correcting that gummy smile.
- Crown lengthening –A crown lengthening procedure will help remove and reshape any excess gum tissue. This is done by trimming the gum and bone tissue to reveal more of the tooth structure. This will expose more of the crown of your teeth, which gives your teeth the appearance of looking longer. This will help make your smile look less gummy.
- Gingivectomy – This procedure removes gum tissue tin order to even out the gum line, however, if there is too much bone tissue under the gums, there is always the chance the gums may grow back into their original position.
- Crowns or veneers – As long as a patient has no other oral health issues that are causing the gummy smile, crowns or veneers can also help enhance their smile. The crowns and veneers help make teeth look longer, again making the patient’s smile appear less gummy.
- Botox injections – Many people think of Botox injections as just a cosmetic procedure for wrinkles, but these injections provide positive results for a number of issues. One of these issues is gummy smiles. Sometimes, a patient has lip muscles that are hyperactive. This means that these movements also expose the excess gum tissue. Botox injections can help alleviate those lip muscle movements. Generally, patients need to repeat the procedure every six to 12 months.
Why It’s Worth Fixing Your Gummy Smile
Many people have gummy smiles. Some people may have wished that they could change their smile since they were younger while others with gummier smiles may not have wanted to make a change until they were adults. You might be wondering if changing your smile is only going to be for the cosmetic aspect or if there is any kind of health reason that may make changing your smile more worth it. As your cosmetic dentist will tell you, even if you are only minorly bothered by your gummy smile, there are other benefits to reducing your gum line or straightening them out. You may find that this not only helps you with your overall dental health but that you go about your day feeling more confident than usual.
Top Reasons You Should Change Your Gummy Smile
One of the most important things a cosmetic dentist can do for you is to help you to feel confident in your own body. Some people find that confidence comes a little easier with a few tweaks here and there. Your dentist can be helpful when it comes to making some minor changes with a big impact.
- You deserve to feel good. If you want a change in your smile and believe that straightening out the gum line or reducing the gum line will help bring you the confidence you need, you should speak with your dentist. You may have very white teeth and have great overall oral hygiene, but a gummy smile can make your smile feel dull. Your cosmetic dentist can fix this by straightening out your gum line and evening out areas with excess tissue to give you the smile you have always wanted.
- This is not a big orthodontic procedure. Many people are hesitant to get anything done at their dentist and certainly do not want to volunteer to have more work done. However, your dentist can very carefully trim away any excess tissue in your gums and it is only considered to be a minor oral surgery. You can speak with your dentist about the sedation level needed and what types of pain medication may help make your recovery process more comfortable.
- Your dental health will thank you. If you have suffered from food getting stuck in your gums for years no matter how much you brush and floss, reducing your gums may decrease your chance of getting food stuck. This can help the overall health of your teeth because when food is stuck for long periods of time, it can cause cavities and rot. Reducing your gum line can mean less food getting stuck and thus healthier teeth overall.
Getting a dental procedure done can be scary. However, if this is something you have been considering, it is important to set up a consultation with your dentist in Beverly Hills so that you can see if this procedure would be right for you. Getting something as simple as a gum procedure done can not only give you a more confident smile, it can give you better oral health.
Contact Our Office Today
If you are uncomfortable with your smile, call our office to find out what options are available to you. First, we will determine why you have a gummy smile and then we’ll discuss the different treatment options that may be available to you. Call TruGlo Modern Dentistry to schedule a consultation and learn more about gummy smile treatment in Beverly Hills. You’ll just want to show that new smile off!