Having white teeth can give someone the confidence to smile and feel good about their appearance. However, stained teeth are a common occurrence as the foods we eat, beverages we drink, and certain daily habits can impact the whiteness of our teeth. Certain things stain your teeth much more than others, so it’s important to know what to watch out for.
While most people know that smoking, coffee, tea, red wine, candies, pastries, and sugary drinks can all stain your teeth, other things can have a significant impact on tooth discoloration.
Common Things That Stain Teeth
- Tomato Sauce: Not only is tomato sauce acidic, but it also contains a highly pigmented color. These both can weaken the enamel of your teeth, creating small holes, which make your teeth more susceptible to stains.
- Curry: Foods made with curry may taste amazing, but the color is powerful and can leave your teeth stained yellow or orange.
- Balsamic Vinegar: Not only does balsamic vinegar have dark pigments, but it is also sticky. This means that it will leave stains on your teeth and stay there for a while, penetrating your enamel.
- Soy Sauce: This is very similar to balsamic vinegar as it has dark pigmentation that can lead to stains.
- Beets: The color of beets is extremely pigmented and can stain your teeth, leaving them looking red or orange.
- Berries and Pomegranates: Fruit with high pigmentation can stain your teeth easily. Berries and pomegranates have purple and red pigments similar to how red wine stains your teeth.
- Hookah: While people often see hookah as a mild version of smoking, it does contain nicotine and tar. These lead to yellow and brown stains in addition to the possibility of bone loss, loose teeth, and receding gums. Stay away from smoking any substances if possible as they can have a major impact on your teeth and gums.
There are multiple different categories of tooth discoloration that can impact your oral health and the aesthetics of your teeth. The first type of discoloration is extrinsic and involves the outer layer of your teeth. The outer layer of your teeth is referred to as your enamel, and it is your teeth’s first layer of protection from harmful food, drinks, and daily habits like smoking or poor oral hygiene.
The second type of discoloration is intrinsic and involves the inner layer of your teeth. The inner layer can be impacted by excessive exposure to fluoride or even certain antibiotics during childhood. However, the inner layer can be impacted by foods, drinks, or daily habits if your enamel has been severely damaged. The last type of discoloration is age-related discoloration. This is due to the normal wear and tear that comes with natural aging and can be sped up by poor oral hygiene and a bad diet.
In addition to a healthy diet and a good oral care routine, the best way to keep your teeth pearly white is to have regular teeth whitening in Hollywood. There are laser teeth whitening treatments that are pain-free with immediate results. The results are long-lasting and can really revive your smile and increase your confidence.
Teeth Whitening Treatment in Hollywood
If your teeth are stained and you would like to get them whitened, contact Glo Modern Dentistry. Glo Modern Dentistry is the number one rated cosmetic dentist in Hollywood. Dr. Rhonda Kalasho is one of the most trusted and highly reputable dentists in the area. She has been trained at one of the nation’s top universities, UCLA. If you need a cleaning or have any dental questions, contact Dr. Rhonda Kalasho and her team at Glo Modern Dentistry today!