A dental prophylaxis cleaning is a medical term for a dental cleaning. This is also known as your regular dental check-ups where your dentist will clean your teeth and gums. This is a really important treatment as it stops the progression of gum disease and gingivitis. It also helps your teeth and gums feel and look super clean. It is a common and necessary preventative measure to take to keep your oral health at its best.
To get in touch with the premier Hollywood dentist, Dr. Kalasho, reach out to us today!
What Happens at a Dental Prophylaxis Cleaning?
Dental Prophylaxis cleanings involve a number of steps to be sure that your mouth and gums are in the best shape. Depending on your unique needs, you may need some or all of the following treatments at your cleaning.
- Dental Exam: The dentist will examine your teeth. This is when they put the little circle mirror in your mouth to check your teeth and gums before they proceed with the cleaning.
- X-ray: This is helpful to determine if you have any cavities. It also helps with keeping a good record of your teeth throughout the years.
- Cleaning: This is where all of the plaque, tartar, and residual food buildup is cleaned off.
- Flossing and Polishing: After a good cleaning, the dentist will follow up with a floss to ensure everything has been removed. You will also get your teeth polished which helps them look and feel clean.
- Fluoride Treatments or Sealants: This treatment helps protect your teeth until your next appointment. However, this should not stop you from continuing your regular oral hygiene routine at home.
How Often Should I Get a Cleaning?
Most dentists recommend getting a cleaning every six months. This is a great preventative measure and has been proven to help with the progression of gum disease and gingivitis. However, for those with gum disease, cleanings should be done at least every three to four months. Gum disease cannot be prevented but this will help with the progression and worsening of symptoms.
Benefits of a Dental Prophylaxis Cleaning
There are multiple benefits that come from regular dental cleanings, including the following:
Removal of Plaque
While you may brush, floss, and use mouthwash all the time, you’ll still need a cleaning to remove unwanted plaque. It would be impossible to remove all of the debris and bacteria on your own. An experienced dentist uses specialized dental equipment to remove the tartar and plaque from above and below the gum line. Tartar and plaque buildup can result in major issues with your gums, including gum disease.
Healthy Mouth and Gums
If you want a smile that shines, getting your regular cleanings can drastically help with this. A regular dental cleaning can help with stains or yellowish colored teeth.
Bad breath is the worst! Nobody wants to have it or smell it. Bad breath can be a sign of a number of health conditions, including gum disease. The removal of plaque, tartar, and any residual food particles from your mouth can help with bad breath. Regular cleanings not only make your teeth and gums look better, but they’ll smell better too. Just be sure to keep up with your dental hygiene routine at home for the best results.
Dental Cleanings in Los Angeles, California
Glo Modern Dentistry is the number one rated cosmetic dentist office in Hollywood. Dr. Rhonda Kalasho is one of the most trusted and highly reputable dentists in the area. She has been trained at one of the nation’s top universities, UCLA. She has also been recognized for her dental work and patients rave about her bedside manner. If you need a cleaning or have any dental questions, contact Dr. Rhonda Kalasho and our team at Glo Modern Dentistry today!