If you have missing teeth, we encourage you to look into dental implants in Beverly Hills, CA. This popular tooth replacement solution allows patients to preserve their smile with a natural-looking, fully functional, and durable new tooth.
What Are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a type of dental restoration where a piece of metal is attached to the jaw to replace a tooth, as a dentist who performs dental implants Beverly Hills patients love can explain. The implant is made of metal, usually titanium or zirconium oxide and is attached directly to the jawbone, so they are permanently fixed.
A crown that is an artificial tooth is placed on top of a base, or abutment, connected to the metal. The crown has the look and feel of real teeth. More than one implant can be attached at once. Dental implants are excellent dental solutions for those who are missing a tooth and would like a permanent solution to restore their smile.
Negative Effects of Missing Teeth
Whether due to an accident or poor oral hygiene, many adults have one or more missing teeth. The cosmetic effects may appear obvious, but there are several other negative effects of missing teeth. These include:
- Unattractive smile. One of the most apparent effects of missing teeth is an unattractive smile. As a result, you may feel self-conscious about smiling in public, especially if you have missing front teeth.
- Difficulty chewing. If you have missing teeth, you may also have difficulty eating many foods, including fruits, meats, vegetables and nuts. This can prevent you from getting all the nutrients your body requires to stay strong and healthy.
- Trouble speaking. Your teeth play a major role in your speech. If you have missing teeth, you may have difficulty pronouncing certain words and talk with a lisp.
- Bite problems. If you have missing teeth, it can cause adjacent teeth to shift toward the empty spaces. This can create problems with your bite, which may lead to teeth grinding, sensitivity, lockjaw, overbites, and headaches. If not addressed, these issues can worsen over time.
How Dental Implants Can Help
If you get dental implants, you can avoid the negative consequences of missing teeth. The artificial tooth roots can improve the look of your smile, make it easier to eat all your favorite foods, and help you speak more clearly.
Getting Dental Implants: Start to Finish
Dental implants in Beverly Hills generally require multiple appointments, including a consultation, an appointment to place the implant, and another appointment to attach the crown.
When your dentist surgically places the implant in your mouth, you will be given local anesthesia or IV sedation to ensure your comfort. You may feel tired after the procedure, so you may want to ask a friend or family member to drive you home.
It is normal to experience some swelling, bruising, and soreness afterward. You may take over-the-counter pain relievers and use ice packs to relieve your discomfort. You will also have to stick to soft foods, like mashed potatoes and yogurt, while you heal.
Top Tips For Preparing For Dental Implants
Many patients are highly excited about the prospect of getting dental implants. Dental implants can completely change a person’s face and positively change a person’s life. Although this is likely a long-awaited time for you, you may be wondering if there is anything you can do to prepare for what you should expect during and after the procedure.
- Know Your Limits. Getting Beverly Hills dental implants will likely mean avoiding typical activities immediately following the procedure. It is important to make sure you have care at home while you are resting and recovering from surgery and avoid strenuous activity.
- Eat Soft Foods. Like many other dental procedures, you will want to prepare some soft foods ahead of time or have them ready to go. Things like pasta, pudding, soups, and smoothies are all great ways to continue getting nutrition while you are recovering.
- Talk With Your Dentist About Medications. If you are on any medication or supplements before the surgery, you must speak with your dentist, especially when you expect to go under anesthesia. Your dentist can tell you which medications and supplements are still safe to take before your surgery.
- Keep Up With Dental Hygiene. Many people believe that before going in for any kind of dental checkup or procedure, they can avoid their typical oral hygiene routine. Oral hygiene is not only about your teeth but also about your tongue and gums. Ensuring proper oral hygiene can make your surgery and recovery smoother.
- Get Comfortable. It is vital that you come to your surgery feeling comfortable. This means removing makeup, comfortable, loose clothing (especially for the ride home and going to bed), and comfortable shoes.
Dental Implants FAQs
Does getting a dental implant hurt?
Dental implants are installed surgically by a dentist, but they are not painful. Patients do not feel the procedure because they will receive local anesthetic. The dentist will ensure the patient is comfortable during the entire treatment. After the procedure, patients may feel some discomfort and soreness, but this is temporary and a natural part of getting the treatment. Applying heat and ice to your jaw will help relieve the soreness, and pain medication may help if necessary as well.
Who are implants right for?
Patients with particularly severe dental problems may need to have their teeth removed, and dental implants may be necessary. Implants are suitable for patients who may have lost their tooth because of decay, injuries, or damage from an accident. If a tooth is severely damaged and a crown is not a suitable treatment option, a dentist may recommend a dental implant because it can replace the tooth. Dental implants can give patients with missing teeth the smile they have always wanted. Talk to your dentist to see if dental implants are an appropriate treatment option for you.
How do I take care of my teeth after getting dental implants?
Following your dentist’s instructions regarding post-care after you finish your dental implant treatment is paramount. There are certain foods that you will be limited to eating on the day off and in the days after your implant surgery. You should eat only liquids or soft foods because it will be hard to move your jaw and chew. Be sure to apply ice to your jaw to soothe any pain or soreness you may have while you recover. If you have any questions about taking care of your teeth following surgery, an experienced and qualified Beverly Hills dentist who does dental implants can answer them.
Why choose dental implants for treatment?
Dental implants are excellent options for people who have severely damaged, destroyed, or missing teeth and want to achieve a brilliant smile. They can last roughly 10 to 20 years, are highly durable, and resemble real teeth, allowing them to seamlessly blend in with your other teeth. Patients with dental implants recover in a relatively short time, and they can easily drink, chew and eat food following the procedure. If you want to learn more about dental implants and see if they suit you, contact a qualified and experienced Beverly Hills dentist immediately for more information.
Contact Our Beverly Hills Dental Implant Dentist
Getting dental implants can be one of the best decisions you make. Going into any medical procedure or surgery can be nerve-wracking, though, and it is vital that you speak with your dentist about any other ways you can prepare for this surgery and ways that you can make recovery easier. When you are ready to move forward with Beverly Hills dental implants, do not hesitate to contact the Glo Modern Dental team.